Bermuda's Most Popular Discussion Forum
April 28, 2017, 10:45:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   Bunny  Welcome to Bermuda Is Another World.  Bunny  We feel our Forum, founded in 2007, is now more necessary than ever!  With increasing media censorship of reader comments, and the unfortunate demise of The Sun, BIAW continues to stand strong for truth, integrity, and free speech.  Bunny  Plus a little craziness!  Bunny  Please join us, and tell us what’s on your mind.  Bunny  Created in Bermuda by Bermudians for everyone who truly loves our Island.  Bunny  Officially sanctioned by the Emperor of Rabbit Island.  Bunny

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to quote a post  (Read 19358 times)
Mysty

Warm Fuzzies: 667

Awards:
Good Egg10K PostsPig Roast1000 Post ThreadOrder of Rabbit IslandDone GoodBlack ThreadCan't Give A ShitFounding MemberCopyright AwardGrassy KnollWarm Fuzzie Mitten100 Page ThreadTop RecruiterGotta Getta LifeNot Really Sure WhatLoyal MemberBeaver FaceSilence Is GoldenAward WhoreGold KeyPro Self ProtectionPseudo-Alien HunterTin Foil HatVictim of Rapier WitFearless WarriorPseudo-PsychologistMost TopicsWise Choice

« on: November 21, 2007, 09:07:44 AM »

Sorry there's something wrong with your post...
This is what the above quote goes down as:

<quote author=Hare Lewis link=topic=179.msg1725#msg1725 date=1194900476>

Sorry there's something wrong with your post... the picture is scrambled!

Do not start your response here!
</quote>
Start your response here!

Please pay attention to your posts, folks.  When you want to quote someone, please ensure that your response to the quote is outside the [/quote] end quote marker.  That way your answer won't appear inside the quoted text box, often making it a bit of a challenge to figure out.  Usually the [/quote] marker appears below the quote on one of the next lines, and folks miss that.... Double-check this when you preview you post before you post it!!  Also, you do not need to use the entire quote if you only want part of it.  Simply delete the sections and blank lines you don't want from the quoted post after you hit the quote button from the guy's post you want to quote (like the example above).  Thanks!  Just a little pet peeve of mine.

Confused... just PM me, and I'll help you out.  Yin Yang

MM  Mystic
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 01:27:20 PM by Admin » Logged

“Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one!"
Rufus T. (Uncle Elvis) Firefly III

Warm Fuzzies: 576

Awards:
Pig Roast1000 Post ThreadCan't Give A ShitFounding MemberStorm WatchPanacheShit StirrerGrassy KnollHistorical AccuracyWarm Fuzzie MittenNo IEFishing For An AwardNot Really Sure WhatStrawmanSilence Is GoldenAward WhoreDone GoodFirst 100 Page ThreadBroken PencilLoyal MemberVictim of Rapier WitProtesterProtest ReporterWise ChoicePseudo-NarcissistCahooter

Captain Curple: Award Whore

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 11:56:28 AM »

An alternative, which will from here on in be known as "Guildenization", is to respond in the post, but in a different colour.
I THINK I prefer the "Chop and Quote" method, but I am going to give Guildenization a shot, as I like the look of it.

In the old LiB days, the method was to Italicize the quote and respond below it.
I still kinda dig that, but with the groovy "Link to the post" technology, it'd be a shame to waste it.

But I follow your point, Misty.

The response goes AFTER the [/quote], not before.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 01:27:42 PM by Admin » Logged

What you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.
Jim Downey "Billy Madison
Mysty

Warm Fuzzies: 667

Awards:
Good Egg10K PostsPig Roast1000 Post ThreadOrder of Rabbit IslandDone GoodBlack ThreadCan't Give A ShitFounding MemberCopyright AwardGrassy KnollWarm Fuzzie Mitten100 Page ThreadTop RecruiterGotta Getta LifeNot Really Sure WhatLoyal MemberBeaver FaceSilence Is GoldenAward WhoreGold KeyPro Self ProtectionPseudo-Alien HunterTin Foil HatVictim of Rapier WitFearless WarriorPseudo-PsychologistMost TopicsWise Choice

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 12:21:04 PM »

As you all know I use the old-fashioned (US blog-style) Italics for quotes as well, but I put a pair of "" in there too.  I just don't like the aesthetics of the "boxed in" look... that's all.  But I am a stickler for detail! Bwaa Hahaha Cool 2
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 01:27:56 PM by Admin » Logged

“Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one!"
jnc

Warm Fuzzies: 522

Awards:
5K PostsFounding MemberGrassy KnollWise OneLoyal Member

KB 10522

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 12:57:03 PM »

So, for those of you who (like me) like to 'bundle' replies to a number of posts in a single post, I've just discovered a neat feature in the board software which helps make this easy.

To see it, hit 'reply' or 'reply with quote' (on the most recent post you want to reply to, if the latter). Look down below the text/post entry/edit box; there you'll see a list of posts from before the post you're replying to. Look on the right side, and you'll see that each post has an 'Insert Quote' button on it. If you wish to also reply to another post, hit the 'Insert Quote' button for that post, and it will stick the post (with the appropriate 'quote box' syntax wrapped around it) into the text/post entry/edit box. Simples! [And for those of you who already knew of this feature - yes, I'm slow sometimes! :-]

Noel

"Be what you wish to seem." -- Socrates
SmokingGun
Loyal Member

Warm Fuzzies: 1046

Awards:
Order of Rabbit Island10K PostsPig RoastFilm MakerShit StirrerAward WhoreAdventurerCopyright AwardWarm Fuzzie MittenGrassy KnollLoyal MemberWiseguyDone GoodPro Self ProtectionTin Foil HatWise ChoiceA Poet, Doncha Know It

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 02:10:51 PM »

Cool, thanks. Wuffie Faerie
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: