Bermuda's Most Popular Discussion Forum
March 28, 2017, 05:11:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   Bunny  Welcome to Bermuda Is Another World.  Bunny  We feel our Forum, founded in 2007, is now more necessary than ever!  With increasing media censorship of reader comments, and the unfortunate demise of The Sun, BIAW continues to stand strong for truth, integrity, and free speech.  Bunny  Plus a little craziness!  Bunny  Please join us, and tell us what’s on your mind.  Bunny  Created in Bermuda by Bermudians for everyone who truly loves our Island.  Bunny  Officially sanctioned by the Emperor of Rabbit Island.  Bunny

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'The King's Speech'  (Read 13752 times)
Water Nymph

Warm Fuzzies: 138

Awards:
Done GoodHomesteaderPseudo-Alien HunterTin Foil HatShit Stirrer

« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2011, 11:11:57 AM »

I've attached a Wikipedia link which elaborates on stuttering, for your information ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stutter

"Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness ... it is generally the by-product of other activities"  -  Aldous Huxley

"Words form the thread on which we string our experiences"  -  Aldous Huxley
Water Nymph

Awards:

« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2011, 09:50:54 AM »

Although we have looked at the speech impediment itself in this thread, we mustn't forget the voice coaching that was required for the film ...

King's Speech voice coach praised by Colin Firth hails from Norwich

Annabelle Dickson
Monday, February 21, 2011
9:55 AM

As a child he won regional plaudits for his gift for impressions, but actor turned voice coach Neil Swain is now being praised on an international stage.

The Norwich-born blockbuster voice coach was singled out by Colin Firth for his latest work in helping to create the stammering King George VI in the King’s Speech.

At the Bafta ceremony this month, Mr Firth thanked the team behind the film, including a reference to his “masterly voice coach Neil Swain”.

The Heartease High School pupil, who grew up on Salhouse Road in Norwich, did acting and voice qualifications in the city before moving to London aged 18 where he trained as an actor.

Having always had an interest in voice and speech, Mr Swain, who is now 40, went to the Central School of Speech and Drama and worked for the Royal Shakespeare Company before working with stars, including Matt Damon and Freddie Prince Junior, in the West End.

It was through film and TV work including Alice in Wonderland and Sweeney Todd that he met Helena Bonham Carter, who helped him to get the job of voice coach in the film. He was impressed by the script and went to see the director Tom Cooper, who asked him to work on the film.

“I worked with all of them. I was around during the rehearsal period.

“I used to joke with friends – I’d look in my diary and Monday morning would be Derek Jacobi and Monday afternoon would be Michael Gambon,” he said.

“Tuesday would be Colin and in the afternoon it would be Geoffrey Rush. It was ridiculous the acting aristocracy that I was working with,” he added.

“I worked with Colin and we talked about his stammer,” he said. “Colin brought a lot to the table himself.

“He is the sort of actor who 
had done a lot of research 
himself. Between us we found something that was considered and accurate,” he said.

He said he had always had an interest in the voice from the early days when he was taught by Norwich voice and speech coach Anne Edwards.

He said his parents Frank and Ann had worked tirelessly to help him in his career.

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/what-s-on/film-trailers/king_s_speech_voice_coach_praised_by_colin_firth_hails_from_norwich_1_807887

"Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness ... it is generally the by-product of other activities"  -  Aldous Huxley

Water Nymph

Awards:

« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »

You may find this interesting ...

"The King's Speech" Vs the the original/real King George VI war time speech.

There is an additional option on the Youtube page to hear the full version of King George VI's speech (original)

Water Nymph

Awards:

« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2011, 10:19:56 AM »

For those that have access to it there is a programme scheduled for this Wednesday (23rd) at 9pm GMT on Channel 4 ...

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-real-kings-speech

Water Nymph

Awards:

« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2011, 11:57:18 AM »

"King's Speech awaits Oscar sweep? Not so fast!"

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/entertainment/King+Speech+awaits+Oscar+sweep+fast/4301490/story.html#ixzz1EnIVqJLR

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Having marched through Hollywood's major guild awards with hardly a misstep, royal film "The King's Speech" has in past weeks been a frontrunner to sweep through the Oscars, but that may be about to change.

With only about 10 days to go before the world's top film honors, Oscar pundits are re-thinking their picks, and as much as co-hosts James Franco and Anne Hathaway are expected to bring a youthful glow to the awards show, the races for best actor and actress could offer some surprises, experts say.

The Academy Awards, where A-list movie stars like Nicole Kidman and Javier Bardem will turn out in their finest gowns, jewelry and tuxedos, unrolls its red carpet on February 27, and already Hollywood is gearing up with a week of celebrations leading up to its biggest night of the year.

But the really big show will be Sunday's awards, where the tension is building not so much over whether "King's Speech" will win best film, as expected. Rather, the question is: can it sweep through the other top categories?.

"It looks like a 'King's Speech' coronation. The question is how wide will its influence spread", said veteran Oscar watcher Tom O'Neil of awards websites goldderby.com and theenvelope.com.

Drama "The King's Speech," which tells how British King George VI overcame his stammer to rally his countrymen on the eve of World War II, is widely expected to win best film after picking up similar awards from Hollywood guilds representing actors, directors, writers and producers.

Among 10 nominees for best movie, "King's Speech" faces its toughest competition from Facebook film "The Social Network," which won top honors among many critics groups but has fallen off the pace in recent weeks.

Other top nominees include ballet drama "Black Swan," "The Fighter," "True Grit" and "The Kids Are All Right."

The tight races for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' Oscars are in acting categories, and perhaps the toughest competition is for best director among "King's Speech" maker Tom Hooper and "Social Network" helmsman David Fincher.

In the best actor race, Colin Firth is widely picked to win for his performance as King George VI, but among actresses, the competition is too close to call between "Black Swan" actress Natalie Portman and Annette Bening in "Kids Are All Right."

Portman turned in a strong performance as a ballerina growing into womanhood, and has claimed many early awards, including Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild trophies.

But Bening, who portrays a lesbian mother in "Kids," is a three-time loser at the Oscars, and there is a feeling that it is her time to win. Moreover, she is a member of the Academy's Board of Governors and is well-liked in the group.

"Annette Bening has been doing a lot of campaigning, and she has a lot of support," said Pete Hammond, Oscar watcher for Deadline Hollywood. "That (race) is ripe for a slight upset."

Among supporting actors and actresses, Christian Bale playing a drug-addicted boxer in "The Fighter" and Melissa Leo as his mother, are widely-picked to win.

But the experts said that if "King's Speech" sweeps through early categories like costume design, it will have momentum. Fans might see its supporting star Geoffrey Rush win. Likewise, Helena Bonham Carter in "King Speech" or 14 year-old Hailee Steinfeld in "True Grit" could claim supporting actress.

The tightest race is best director. "King's Speech" maker Hooper claimed top honors from Hollywood's directors, but Fincher took home the British film Academy's honor on Hooper's home turf. Experts said the race is too close to call.

Meanwhile, Oscar organizers took the highly unusual step of hiring non-comedians -- Franco, 32, and Hathaway, 28 -- as the co-hosts for this year's telecast, which annually is the second most watched TV show in the United States.

Typically, the Academy has hired comics such as Jon Stewart or Ellen DeGeneres to host the show, but Franco and Hathaway are dramatic actors. Their choice is widely viewed as a move by the Academy to lure younger audiences.

Franco, Hathaway and the show's producers have been quiet about what they have in store on Oscar night, but in interviews with Oscar organizers the hosts echoed the "You're Invited" theme of this year's show, saying it was inclusive for movie audiences of all types and ages.

Hathaway said Franco would be the perfect host because he'll do just about anything to get the right performance.

"When it comes to taking risks, especially in comedy and all kinds of performance, I think James is the most brave actor of my generation," Hathaway said. "I don't think he has any kind of ego about that stuff."

Last year's telecast lured 41 million U.S. viewer -- the most-watched Oscars in five years -- and organizers hope to maintain that momentum. In fact, the recent Grammy (music) and Golden Globe (film and TV) awards saw increased viewers.

Water Nymph

Awards:

« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2011, 12:03:09 PM »

Colin Firth asked to be a Burger King
Date: Wednesday Feb. 23, 2011 6:28 AM ET

Colin Firth has been invited to design a burger.

The 'King's Speech' actor has been asked by fast food chain Burger King to create his own culinary treat if he picks up the Academy Award for Best Actor on Sunday, with the company pledging to make the meaty snack available to the public.

A spokesman for the restaurant chain said: "We're offering our Oscar hopeful the chance to crown his own BK classic.

"If Colin brings the coveted Oscar statuette back to Britain, we will invite him to join our chefs and create a unique celebratory burger bearing his name."

Burger King's offer comes after Colin, 51, admitted his passion for the tasty snack, saying he would much rather celebrate an Oscar win by visiting an American fast food chain with former Academy Award winner Dame Helen Mirren.

He said: "I hope we can go to In-N-Out Burger. I hear that's a favourite of Helen's. She went there after the Oscars."

Meanwhile, the British actor has been immortalized in Lego.

The toy company is so hopeful that Colin will win Best Actor for playing King George VI in 'The King's Speech' they have released a image of him holding the gong made up of the little bricks.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Entertainment/20110223/firth-burger-king-110223/

SmokingGun
Loyal Member

Warm Fuzzies: 1046

Awards:
Order of Rabbit Island10K PostsPig RoastFilm MakerShit StirrerAward WhoreAdventurerCopyright AwardWarm Fuzzie MittenGrassy KnollLoyal MemberWiseguyDone GoodPro Self ProtectionTin Foil HatWise ChoiceA Poet, Doncha Know It

« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2011, 12:15:21 PM »

"Among supporting actors and actresses, Christian Bale playing a drug-addicted boxer in "The Fighter" and Melissa Leo as his mother, are widely-picked to win.

But the experts said that if "King's Speech" sweeps through early categories like costume design, it will have momentum. Fans might see its supporting star Geoffrey Rush win. Likewise, Helena Bonham Carter in "King Speech" or 14 year-old Hailee Steinfeld in "True Grit" could claim supporting actress."

Huh? How exactly do they gain momentum and win more awards.... aren't they already picked before the event?
Water Nymph

Awards:

« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2011, 12:20:53 PM »

Apparently it's the "experts" that are suggesting this ... according to the Montreal Gazette!!  confused

This may help explain the process.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 12:35:03 PM by Water Nymph » Logged

Water Nymph

Awards:

« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2011, 09:29:55 AM »

Soooo ... not a clean sweep at the Oscars, but a good result nevertheless ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/oscars/8352027/Oscars-2011-triumphant-Colin-Firth-says-he-is-happy-to-be-remembered-as-Mr-Darcy.html#

I must agree with Colin Firth that his defining hour was his role as Mr Darcy ... but then in this particular case I'm biased of course   Love ROFL

mrsbda

Warm Fuzzies: 151

Awards:
Founding MemberLoyal MemberProtester

« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2011, 09:40:11 AM »

Agree with you Water Nymph!!! 

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.
Water Nymph

Awards:

« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2011, 09:50:46 AM »

Sorry Smokes ... I just KNOW you were holding out for Geoffrey Rush to scoop the Best Supporting Actor award, but Christian Bale pipped him to the post.  Can't really comment further on that one as I haven't seen "The Fighter" yet (I happen to detest boxing as a sport, which may have something to do with it!!)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:55:05 AM by Water Nymph » Logged

Water Nymph

Awards:

« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2011, 09:58:19 AM »

... and for those who are interested in the fuller picture here's a full list of the awards given ...

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/02/the_oscars_the_complete_winner_2.html

SmokingGun
Loyal Member

Warm Fuzzies: 1046

Awards:
Order of Rabbit Island10K PostsPig RoastFilm MakerShit StirrerAward WhoreAdventurerCopyright AwardWarm Fuzzie MittenGrassy KnollLoyal MemberWiseguyDone GoodPro Self ProtectionTin Foil HatWise ChoiceA Poet, Doncha Know It

« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2011, 02:09:22 PM »

Bale Vs Baldie..... I will definitely have to go see The Fighter now. I never realized Bale had such an English accent... East London is it?
Water Nymph

Awards:

« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2011, 05:46:34 PM »

Oh for ffff... for..... ffffff ... !!

Here's the very latest ...

http://celebrity.uk.msn.com/news/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=156307611

Firth: No need for swear-free film

Colin Firth has revealed he opposes plans to release an edited version of The King's Speech.

After winning the best actor Oscar for the title role in the British monarchy saga, Colin said he was against a version of the film which would alter a pivotal swearing scene.

"I don't take this stuff lightly, but in the context of this film, it could not be more edifying, more appropriate. It's not vicious, it's not an insult or it's not in any of the contexts which might offend people," Colin said.

The Weinstein Co., the film's distributor, has considered releasing a PG-13 version, which potentially could open it up to a wider audience. In the US, an R rating prohibits anyone younger than 17 from seeing a film without an adult.

The ratings board of the Motion Picture Association of America announced on Friday that an alternate version of The King's Speech had been assigned a PG-13 rating.

The R-rated version, which dominated the Oscars with a best-picture win and three other prizes, already is a 100 million US dollar hit.

The film stars Colin as stammering King George VI, whose angry swearing fit helps him momentarily overcome his speech problem.

"Really, it's about a man who's trying to free himself through the use of certain words," Colin said. "I still haven't met the person who would object, so I think the film should stand as it is."

After the ceremony, Colin stopped briefly to talk to media at the Vanity Fair party, telling BBC News: "A win is good. I can't give you more than that."

Asked if he ever doubted the appeal of the film, he said: "I doubted it profoundly. I thought it would appeal to a few people. I had no idea it would be so broad."

navin r. johnson

Warm Fuzzies: 222

Awards:
Copyright AwardLoyal MemberHomesteader

« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2011, 06:06:02 PM »

Bale was incredible in The Fighter....he was born in Wales and has a hint on a Welsh accent when speaking but he was pure South Boston in this movie....Melissa Leo who was best supporting actress in the same film was terrific too...was a toss-up for me as far as best picture between The Fighter and The Kings Speech.   

Navin it's your birthday and it's time you knew that you are not our natural born child....You mean I'm gonna stay this color?  Navin I would love you if you were the color of a baboon's ass.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: