Bermuda's Most Popular Discussion Forum
March 28, 2017, 05:07:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   Bunny  Welcome to Bermuda Is Another World.  Bunny  We feel our Forum, founded in 2007, is now more necessary than ever!  With increasing media censorship of reader comments, and the unfortunate demise of The Sun, BIAW continues to stand strong for truth, integrity, and free speech.  Bunny  Plus a little craziness!  Bunny  Please join us, and tell us what’s on your mind.  Bunny  Created in Bermuda by Bermudians for everyone who truly loves our Island.  Bunny  Officially sanctioned by the Emperor of Rabbit Island.  Bunny

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'The King's Speech'  (Read 13750 times)
SmokingGun
Loyal Member

Warm Fuzzies: 1046

Awards:
Order of Rabbit Island10K PostsPig RoastFilm MakerShit StirrerAward WhoreAdventurerCopyright AwardWarm Fuzzie MittenGrassy KnollLoyal MemberWiseguyDone GoodPro Self ProtectionTin Foil HatWise ChoiceA Poet, Doncha Know It

« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2011, 06:12:13 PM »

Ironic that they can drop the F-Bomb in the Oscars live on TV but have a problem dropping one in a movie theatre... Rasta
Water Nymph

Warm Fuzzies: 138

Awards:
Done GoodHomesteaderPseudo-Alien HunterTin Foil HatShit Stirrer

« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2011, 06:37:34 AM »

I listened to this programme on BBC Radio 4 last Friday evening ... it gives you an indepth explanation on the making of "The King's Speech".

"Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness ... it is generally the by-product of other activities"  -  Aldous Huxley

"Words form the thread on which we string our experiences"  -  Aldous Huxley
Water Nymph

Warm Fuzzies: 138

Awards:
Done GoodHomesteaderPseudo-Alien HunterTin Foil HatShit Stirrer

« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2011, 02:32:03 PM »

Arise, Sir Colin  Praise (maybe??)

Colin Firth to be knighted after Oscar win
Mar. 4, 2011 03:07 AM
Bang Showbiz

Colin Firth is set to be knighted after winning an Oscar for 'The King's Speech'.

The 50-year-old actor portrayed Queen Elizabeth's father King George VI in the movie, and the royal family are said to be so impressed with his performance they are considering making him a Sir.

A source told the Daily Mail newspaper: "Colin has been a great ambassador for Britain throughout his career and his sensitive portrayal of King George VI has won him much admiration among the royal family - and of course, the film's many fans."

Although Buckingham Palace has refused to confirm the speculation, the British honors system recognizes excellent achievement in any field of work, with Catherine Zeta-Jones among those recently awarded with a Commander of the Order of the British Empire for her acting career and services to charity.

Colin will learn if he has made the cut the week before the Queen's Birthday Honours list is announced in June.

It was recently revealed the Queen had enjoyed a private screening of 'The King's Speech'.

A source said: "The Queen loves a good film. 'The King's Speech' is close to the bone as it is a portrayal of her family in the 1930s.

"But she found it moving and enjoyable. She was clearly amused by some of the lighter moments."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/ent/celeb/articles/2011/03/04/20110304colin-firth-knighted-after-oscar-win.html#ixzz1FeYChoZb

"Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness ... it is generally the by-product of other activities"  -  Aldous Huxley

"Words form the thread on which we string our experiences"  -  Aldous Huxley
Buddha Bunny
Hopping down The Path to Enlightenment

Warm Fuzzies: 664

Awards:
Pig RoastCan't Give A ShitFounding MemberWarm Fuzzie MittenSlewmeisterGrassy KnollPro Self ProtectionProtesterSt. Patrick's Day MassacrePseudo-BuddhistWise ChoiceGoat Rider

I am beginning to awaken.

« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2011, 07:12:31 PM »

Good for him...   I remember the day I was knighted like it was yesterday...  Bunny

The Emperor

We are what we think.  All that we are arises with our thoughts.  With our thoughts we make the world.
jnc

Warm Fuzzies: 522

Awards:
5K PostsFounding MemberGrassy KnollWise OneLoyal Member

KB 10522

« Reply #94 on: February 08, 2012, 04:50:59 PM »

Oh, I don't doubt that they were very close - I was more wondering about the familiarity, i.e. the way he acted towards George VI, like they were not only on an equal social level, but almost family.
The 'USA Today' article .. gave an example, when it pointed out that it would have been really unlikely for Logue to have called him 'Bertie', a family name.
And if they really were distant and formal in manner (even though close emotionally), it might have been hard for a modern audience to appreciate how that seeming contradiction could work?

I just ran across some interesting material that sheds some light on this issue: a story here which includes a great deal of original documentation, including long excerpts from Logue's diary, letters back and forth between he and the King, etc.

Very interesting reading. There's no doubt they were very close, and that he was almost 'family' in some ways, but still there is that social distance (the King always addresses him as "Logue", and to Queen Elizabeth he uses the standard "Your Majesty" followed by "Ma'am").

Noel

PS: It turns out I was wrong; Logue really did call him 'Bertie' initially, and for psychological reasons, as I had suspected. According to this story, "Another part of Logue's unconventional approach was to insist on addressing the Duke as Bertie, much to the Duke's initial discomfort. ... At the end of the [1939 Declaration of War] broadcast Logue finally called him 'Your Majesty'.".
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 05:04:55 PM by jnc » Logged

"Be what you wish to seem." -- Socrates
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: