Bermuda's Most Popular Discussion Forum
March 26, 2017, 11:56:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   Bunny  Welcome to Bermuda Is Another World.  Bunny  We feel our Forum, founded in 2007, is now more necessary than ever!  With increasing media censorship of reader comments, and the unfortunate demise of The Sun, BIAW continues to stand strong for truth, integrity, and free speech.  Bunny  Plus a little craziness!  Bunny  Please join us, and tell us what’s on your mind.  Bunny  Created in Bermuda by Bermudians for everyone who truly loves our Island.  Bunny  Officially sanctioned by the Emperor of Rabbit Island.  Bunny

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 9/11 Anniversary  (Read 31168 times)
Wassup

Warm Fuzzies: 124

Awards:
Pig RoastFounding MemberNo IELoyal MemberProtester

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 07:19:35 PM »

Well, at least sporting a tattoo like that makes it easier to identify him as an a**hole.

Disgusting.

If the world didn't suck, people would fall off.
Buddha Bunny
Hopping down The Path to Enlightenment

Warm Fuzzies: 664

Awards:
Pig RoastCan't Give A ShitFounding MemberWarm Fuzzie MittenSlewmeisterGrassy KnollPro Self ProtectionProtesterSt. Patrick's Day MassacrePseudo-BuddhistWise ChoiceGoat Rider

I am beginning to awaken.

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 10:48:28 AM »

If it's even a real tattoo...

We are what we think.  All that we are arises with our thoughts.  With our thoughts we make the world.
jnc

Warm Fuzzies: 522

Awards:
5K PostsFounding MemberGrassy KnollWise OneLoyal Member

KB 10522

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 04:05:52 PM »

Not quite 9/11 (order and orders of magnitude worse), but a similar sort of feeling...

I heard about this photo, and went looking for it, so here it is:

Israeli F-15's flying over Auschwitz

(They were in Poland for anniversary ceremonies for the Polish Air Force in 2003, which kindly gave them permission to make the overflight.)

Noel
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 10:24:43 AM by jnc » Logged

"Be what you wish to seem." -- Socrates
jnc

Awards:

KB 10522

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 04:59:09 PM »

The US owes an incredible debt to the passengers of United 93. At a time when the government was too disorganized to react, the ordinary citizens on the plane promptly and effectively organized themselves, and by their actions prevented what would have likely been a horrific attack on a major US institution.

One aspect of their planning which I had not heard before yesterday: they apparently deliberately timed their attack to be when the plane was over open country, to minimize the chances of hurting anyone on the ground. To think of that, in the midst of what was going on - just incredible.

A profound and heartfelt salute to them, and next time I am in the Shanksville region I will definitely be stopping in to the new memorial to pay my respects.

So a while back I was in the region, and I did stop in. It was pretty amazing.

It's out in the middle of freakin' nowhere, about 30 minutes from the closest Interstate, but it was still full of people.

A fairly nicely designed memorial (there's a temporary building there too; I gather they are in the process of putting in a permanent structure too).

I would highly recommend to all that they stop in if they are anywhere near.

Noel

jnc

Awards:

KB 10522

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 10:17:49 AM »

On 9/11 every year, as a memorial MSNBC replays their coverage from that morning, synchronized minute for minute. So if you're watching at 9:02 AM Eastern, you'll see the second plane hit, and hear the on-air reaction as it happened at the time.  And at 9:59 you'll see the first tower collapse, hear the actual contemporaneous on-air reaction, etc, etc.
Definitely worth watching if you've never seen it (or even if you have, now that I think about it - I always watch - and remember).

So they are doing it again this year.

I generally don't have a lot good to say about MSNBC, but on this I have to take my hat off to them. Very classy. Thank you, MSNBC.

Noel

jnc

Awards:

KB 10522

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 11:10:44 AM »

(I'll never forget that - one of the anchors, not sure which channel it was, it was one of the big 5, in response to the on-location correspondent who reported the collapse, said something to the effect of 'You mean a piece fell off of it, right?' He just couldn't wrap his mind aroud the concept that the whole building had collapsed. He had to be told several times before he could get it.)

The MSNBC coverage was/is interesting: when the building collapsed, it seemed to take about 10 minutes to really sink in that the building had completely collapsed - even now (10:10) it still doesn't seem to have sunk in, as to what that meant.

Noel

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: