Bermuda's Most Popular Discussion Forum
October 20, 2014, 02:52:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   Bunny  Welcome to Bermuda Is Another World.  Bunny  We feel our Forum, founded in 2007, is now more necessary than ever!  With increasing media censorship of reader comments, and the unfortunate demise of The Sun, BIAW continues to stand strong for truth, integrity, and free speech.  Bunny  Plus a little craziness!  Bunny  Please join us, and tell us what’s on your mind.  Bunny  Created in Bermuda by Bermudians for everyone who truly loves our Island.  Bunny  Officially sanctioned by the Emperor of Rabbit Island.  Bunny

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bermuda gangs.  (Read 3093 times)
eastend

Warm Fuzzies: 411

Awards:
100 Page ThreadHalf OnionAdventurerExit PlanWise ChoiceDone GoodLoyal Member

« on: January 06, 2012, 12:29:08 PM »

Thought this needed a separate thread than the "Demise of Bermuda" one.
For the gang problem topic when its not actually a shooting at any rate (there is already a shooting thread)

I was struck by the report this week of two rival factions going at it outside the courthouse for a number of reasons.

http://bermudasun.bm/main.asp?FromHome=1&TypeID=1&ArticleID=56069&SectionID=24&SubSectionID=902

1. One of the gang members is 16. The new crop of soldiers coming through?
2.  The Somerset boys were there to pay a fine on behalf of a friend. (friend too scared to come to town? the guys doing the trip are minions/foot soldiers for a higher up?)
3. The guys are more scared of losing face to a rival gang and backing down than they are of being arrested. It was obvious that they would be arrested fighting outside the court and they didn't stop when the cops arrived.
4. Is the courthouse on one gangs turf?

WASPS, kiss their kids on the forehead and their dogs on the mouth.
Renaissance Man

Warm Fuzzies: 802

Awards:
10K PostsPig RoastOrder of Rabbit IslandBleeding Heart LiberalRight WingerAward WhoreWise ChoiceFounding MemberCopyright AwardWarm Fuzzie MittenLoyalest MemberPro Self ProtectionPC PoliceProtesterEnlightened OneGoat Rider

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 02:14:25 PM »

The courthouse is on Parkside's turf.

Warning: this user's posts are extremely likely to contain traces of sarcasm, satire, and intolerance for your willful ignorance.

Read at your own risk.
Prospero

Warm Fuzzies: 76

Awards:
No IEFounding MemberLoyal MemberWise Choice

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 04:20:48 PM »

I would be interested in seeing a list of gangs, and where their turf is.  I can't keep it all straight.
Buddha Bunny
Hopping down The Path to Enlightenment

Warm Fuzzies: 662

Awards:
Pig RoastCan't Give A ShitFounding MemberWarm Fuzzie MittenSlewmeisterGrassy KnollPro Self ProtectionProtesterSt. Patrick's Day MassacrePseudo-BuddhistWise ChoiceGoat Rider

I am beginning to awaken.

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 05:39:23 PM »

Oh don't make me fucking gag!!!!   Vomit

We are what we think.  All that we are arises with our thoughts.  With our thoughts we make the world.
Letariatpro

Warm Fuzzies: 343

Awards:
Pig RoastCopyright AwardFounding MemberGrassy KnollLoyal MemberDone GoodWise ChoiceProtester

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 05:41:32 PM »

I would be interested in seeing a list of gangs, and where their turf is.  I can't keep it all straight.

None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me.
Prospero

Warm Fuzzies: 76

Awards:
No IEFounding MemberLoyal MemberWise Choice

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 06:50:51 PM »

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.....
Buddha Bunny
Hopping down The Path to Enlightenment

Warm Fuzzies: 662

Awards:
Pig RoastCan't Give A ShitFounding MemberWarm Fuzzie MittenSlewmeisterGrassy KnollPro Self ProtectionProtesterSt. Patrick's Day MassacrePseudo-BuddhistWise ChoiceGoat Rider

I am beginning to awaken.

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 06:53:36 PM »

Around the outside edges of the red areas it should be written...   Beyond here there be dragons

We are what we think.  All that we are arises with our thoughts.  With our thoughts we make the world.
Blankman

Warm Fuzzies: 1028

Awards:
5K PostsOrder of Rabbit Island15K PostsMisogynist10K PostsMost Popular TopicMost Prolific PosterPig RoastCan't Give A ShitCopyright AwardMost Time OnlineEvil TwinFounding MemberShit StirrerAward WhoreGrassy KnollWarm Fuzzie MittenGotta Getta LifeNot Really Sure WhatSilence Is GoldenDone GoodPro Self ProtectionLoyal MemberConceited Pseudo-God

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 07:16:30 PM »

Don't forget this one:

I used to think that drinking was harmful.  So I gave up thinking.
widget

Warm Fuzzies: 119

Awards:
Done GoodHomesteaderBright Idea

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 07:28:38 PM »

Sad, but too accurate for anything but bitter laughter

Moderation.....in most things...
AMCAN

Warm Fuzzies: 246

Awards:
Loyal MemberHomesteader

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »

Kevin Comeau has been giving gang speeches to the Rotary Club for at least 2 years. Being retired since he was 41 and a resident of Bermuda since 1989 maybe he has been too busy to keep up with how effective Canadian laws are at reducing gang violence.

In Toronto for example, gang gun violence and gang deaths are increasing while the overall murder rate has decreased. Police are met with an immediate wall-of-silence when they investigate any gang related incident. Many gang related cases that are prosecuted don't end up with a conviction. Even the activists that were so vocal 10 years ago have been silenced.

In my opinion the Canadian model wouldn't work any better in Bermuda as Comeau claims. Give gang members plea bargains in exchange for testimony against other gang members and then send them off to UK under a witness protection programme...sure! There would be an exodus of gang members who gave up other gang members just to get that witness protection programme in the UK. It wouldn't be very many years before the UK could add the Bermuda Gang to their list of gangs.     

A more stringent law for dealing with gangs is needed in Bermuda but trying to adopt another country's model only makes a good speech for the Rotary Club. Bermuda needs a Government, justice system and police service that is capable of enforcing and making a more stringent gang law work before they even think about what the law will accomplish.

Social policies with alternatives to gang life can't come after a more stringent law, the alternatives have to be in place before or at the same time as a law. Expecting the gangs to give up anything before they see some hope is living in dream world. Ignoring the increasing gang control only increases the probability someday a military force will be required to secure the Island. 

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20120208/NEWS/702089916                                                                                                 

Piglet of the Yard

Warm Fuzzies: 316

Awards:
Founding MemberDone GoodLoyal MemberTown SheriffVictim of Rapier Wit

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 06:21:33 PM »

Kevin Comeau has been giving gang speeches to the Rotary Club for at least 2 years. Being retired since he was 41 and a resident of Bermuda since 1989 maybe he has been too busy to keep up with how effective Canadian laws are at reducing gang violence.

In Toronto for example, gang gun violence and gang deaths are increasing while the overall murder rate has decreased. Police are met with an immediate wall-of-silence when they investigate any gang related incident. Many gang related cases that are prosecuted don't end up with a conviction. Even the activists that were so vocal 10 years ago have been silenced.

In my opinion the Canadian model wouldn't work any better in Bermuda as Comeau claims. Give gang members plea bargains in exchange for testimony against other gang members and then send them off to UK under a witness protection programme...sure! There would be an exodus of gang members who gave up other gang members just to get that witness protection programme in the UK. It wouldn't be very many years before the UK could add the Bermuda Gang to their list of gangs.     

A more stringent law for dealing with gangs is needed in Bermuda but trying to adopt another country's model only makes a good speech for the Rotary Club. Bermuda needs a Government, justice system and police service that is capable of enforcing and making a more stringent gang law work before they even think about what the law will accomplish.

Social policies with alternatives to gang life can't come after a more stringent law, the alternatives have to be in place before or at the same time as a law. Expecting the gangs to give up anything before they see some hope is living in dream world. Ignoring the increasing gang control only increases the probability someday a military force will be required to secure the Island. 

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20120208/NEWS/702089916                                                                                                 

See how it worked out West in Canada - spike in gang murders etc...

Piglet
AMCAN

Awards:
Loyal MemberHomesteader

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 07:49:27 PM »

National Security Minister Wayne Perinchief has announced that Government will unveil a handbook on gang culture and symbols on February 22nd. The handbook would help people recognize the signs of gang membership and assist them in combating the influence of gang culture. Wonder how much the Government paid for this handbook? Whatever the cost of the handbook the money could have been better spent on actual programs. The gang members will be lined up to get their copy of the handbook to see how people recognize them and their symbols.   Face Palm 
jnc

Warm Fuzzies: 494

Awards:
5K PostsFounding MemberGrassy KnollWise OneLoyal Member

KB 10522

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 07:54:43 PM »

National Security Minister Wayne Perinchief has announced that Government will unveil a handbook on gang culture and symbols ... The gang members will be lined up to get their copy of the handbook to see how people recognize them and their symbols. 

Maybe they should have made it a website - that way, they could keep it up-to-date. (Not saying they'd actually get around to it, but in theory, at least, they could - unlike with dead trees....)

Noel

"Be what you wish to seem." -- Socrates
SmokingGun

Warm Fuzzies: 981

Awards:
Order of Rabbit Island10K PostsPig RoastFilm MakerShit StirrerAward WhoreAdventurerCopyright AwardWarm Fuzzie MittenGrassy KnollLoyal MemberWiseguyDone GoodPro Self ProtectionTin Foil HatWise ChoiceA Poet, Doncha Know It

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 08:03:41 PM »

Someone say something about how to recognize a gang.... belly up to the bar and I'll show you one....

AMCAN

Awards:
Loyal MemberHomesteader

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 10:17:17 PM »

Someone say something about how to recognize a gang.... belly up to the bar and I'll show you one....

Absolut (ly) perfect! You can peddle it as an addendum to the handbook.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: