Bermuda's Most Popular Discussion Forum
February 26, 2017, 07:23:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   Bunny  Welcome to Bermuda Is Another World.  Bunny  We feel our Forum, founded in 2007, is now more necessary than ever!  With increasing media censorship of reader comments, and the unfortunate demise of The Sun, BIAW continues to stand strong for truth, integrity, and free speech.  Bunny  Plus a little craziness!  Bunny  Please join us, and tell us what’s on your mind.  Bunny  Created in Bermuda by Bermudians for everyone who truly loves our Island.  Bunny  Officially sanctioned by the Emperor of Rabbit Island.  Bunny

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Commonwealth Parliamentary Association Recommendations  (Read 29376 times)
Jonathan Starling (aka Crimson Dynamo)

Warm Fuzzies: 251

Awards:
AdventurerDone GoodLoyal MemberAnti-Monarchist

« on: February 10, 2012, 05:57:28 PM »

I brought this up over on the fixed terms election thread, but having a read over it now, I thought it may be useful to have a thread for it.

Reading over it, a few catch my eye, such as:

Section 1.5.5:  Members should not be required to place themselves under any financial or other obligation to outside individuals or organisations that might influence them in the performance of their official duties or might give the impression of so doing.

Section 2.7.1:  The Legislature shall maintain and publish readily accessible records of its proceedings in a standard and consistent format that is appropriate and sustainable.

Section 2.7.2:  The unedited record of the proceedings of the Legislature shall be available to members of the Legislature, as far as possible, no later than the day following a sitting.

Section 3.1.4:  Committee hearings shall be in public.  Any exceptions shall be clearly defined and provided for in the rules of procedure.

Section 3.1.5:  Once established, committees shall meet regularly to ensure completion of their terms of reference in a timely and effective manner.

Section 6.3.2:  Information shall be provided to the public in a timely manner regarding matters under consideration by the Legislature.

Section 10.1.1:  Members should maintain high standards of accountability, transparency and responsibility in the conduct of all public and parliamentary matters.

Section 10.1.2:  The Legislature shall approve and enforce a code of conduct, including rules on conflicts of interest and the acceptance of gifts.

Section 10.1.3:  Legislatures shall require Members to fully disclose their financial assets and business interests.

Section 10.1.4:  There shall be mechanisms to prevent, detect, and bring to justice Members and staff engaged in corrupt practices.

Freedom only for the supporters of the government, only for the members of a party – however numerous they may be – is no freedom at all. Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter.  - Rosa Luxemburg

'Crimson Dynamo' just kind of stuck; my real name is J. Starling.
SmokingGun
Loyal Member

Warm Fuzzies: 1046

Awards:
Order of Rabbit Island10K PostsPig RoastFilm MakerShit StirrerAward WhoreAdventurerCopyright AwardWarm Fuzzie MittenGrassy KnollLoyal MemberWiseguyDone GoodPro Self ProtectionTin Foil HatWise ChoiceA Poet, Doncha Know It

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 06:06:42 PM »

Sheesh, they must have been looking at Bermuda when they wrote that up.... I'd run on that as my platform alone. Maybe we should make a postcard out of that list and start mailing it around the island via email and snail mail....
jnc

Warm Fuzzies: 522

Awards:
5K PostsFounding MemberGrassy KnollWise OneLoyal Member

KB 10522

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 07:36:59 PM »

Reading over it, a few catch my eye, such as:

These all sound excellent. One question/point:

Section 2.7.1:  The Legislature shall maintain and publish readily accessible records of its proceedings in a standard and consistent format that is appropriate and sustainable.

I seem to recall John Barritt grumping some years ago about how backwards Bermuda was that it didn't have a proper Hansard, and then a year or so later I thought I recall legislation going through to get one going? Is my memory correct, and is that up and running now?

Noel

"Be what you wish to seem." -- Socrates
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: