Bermuda's Most Popular Discussion Forum
March 28, 2017, 05:13:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   Bunny  Welcome to Bermuda Is Another World.  Bunny  We feel our Forum, founded in 2007, is now more necessary than ever!  With increasing media censorship of reader comments, and the unfortunate demise of The Sun, BIAW continues to stand strong for truth, integrity, and free speech.  Bunny  Plus a little craziness!  Bunny  Please join us, and tell us what’s on your mind.  Bunny  Created in Bermuda by Bermudians for everyone who truly loves our Island.  Bunny  Officially sanctioned by the Emperor of Rabbit Island.  Bunny

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bermuda Tourism Authority  (Read 50249 times)
SmokingGun
Loyal Member

Warm Fuzzies: 1046

Awards:
Order of Rabbit Island10K PostsPig RoastFilm MakerShit StirrerAward WhoreAdventurerCopyright AwardWarm Fuzzie MittenGrassy KnollLoyal MemberWiseguyDone GoodPro Self ProtectionTin Foil HatWise ChoiceA Poet, Doncha Know It

« on: January 03, 2013, 10:20:19 AM »

Former UBP Tourism Minister David Dodwell to head BTA....

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20130103/NEWS04/701029922

PLP'ers are claiming UBP is back. Is he the right guy for the job?

I'm not 100% sure. He's still got some vested interests in both Bermuda and Nevis which can be seen as good or bad so should we hire someone from a marketing/sales background as top guy instead? Hmmmmm..... Gonna have to think on this one.
SmokingGun
Loyal Member

Warm Fuzzies: 1046

Awards:
Order of Rabbit Island10K PostsPig RoastFilm MakerShit StirrerAward WhoreAdventurerCopyright AwardWarm Fuzzie MittenGrassy KnollLoyal MemberWiseguyDone GoodPro Self ProtectionTin Foil HatWise ChoiceA Poet, Doncha Know It

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 11:07:16 AM »

Let me be the first to comment on Furby.... What a freaking hypocrite! You didn't seem to mind being the head of your pyramid scam whilst getting paid to run around the world as Tourism minister.  Finger
Tryangle

Warm Fuzzies: 115

Awards:
AdventurerLoyal MemberNo IE

Meh.

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 11:46:48 AM »

The main issue is that the appointment immediately makes the whole thing controversial, as there are going to be more than a few who'll claim, "wait they wanted to take it out of the hands of politicians, and behold it goes to a (former) one".

I suppose they had to get the ball rolling as soon as possible, mind you.

No, really, ... meh.
Mysty

Warm Fuzzies: 667

Awards:
Good Egg10K PostsPig Roast1000 Post ThreadOrder of Rabbit IslandDone GoodBlack ThreadCan't Give A ShitFounding MemberCopyright AwardGrassy KnollWarm Fuzzie Mitten100 Page ThreadTop RecruiterGotta Getta LifeNot Really Sure WhatLoyal MemberBeaver FaceSilence Is GoldenAward WhoreGold KeyPro Self ProtectionPseudo-Alien HunterTin Foil HatVictim of Rapier WitFearless WarriorPseudo-PsychologistMost TopicsWise Choice

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 01:21:58 PM »

Are the plp getting more publicity than the OBA in the Press?  Meanwhile, it seems as if the OBA has morphed back into the UBP.

Face Palm

“Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one!"
cash bar

Warm Fuzzies: 166

Awards:
1000 Post ThreadDone GoodHomesteaderLoyal MemberTin Foil HatLocked Thread

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 02:37:50 PM »

I think that had David  never been a UBP mp  or a previous Minister of Tourism   there is little that one could criticise   seeing he owns two of the most successful small hotels in the tlantic/Caribbean  region.
He has the knowledge  that is needed unquestionably , but so many of our problems in tourism  are beyond what an 'Authority' can probably have any influence over. 
High operating costs and a generally bad attitude amongst many that tourists come into contact with off property  just to name two.

As someone suggested over on Bernews , might this be a reward for his work with Shawn Crockwell in the leadup to the last election ?

I have to add  that when Shawn  canvassed me  he was not with David  but I wish he  had been. It would have been a much more interesting 'doorstep meeting'   than it was . 
AMCAN

Warm Fuzzies: 276

Awards:
Loyal MemberHomesteader

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 12:49:16 AM »

What has David Dodwell done in past 10 years that has improved tourism in Bermuda? What is Dodwell capable of doing for tourism in the next 10 years? Why doesn't RG bio on Dodwell mention 9 Beaches deal with Ewrat Brown? Why are The Reefs 'Reviews' repeatedly mention that the property needs refurbishing. Why would you appoint Dodwell who has more than one conflict of interest in being a stakeholder? Smells like political payola!   Face Palm
Mysty

Awards:
Good Egg10K PostsPig Roast1000 Post ThreadOrder of Rabbit IslandDone GoodBlack ThreadCan't Give A ShitFounding MemberCopyright AwardGrassy KnollWarm Fuzzie Mitten100 Page ThreadTop RecruiterGotta Getta LifeNot Really Sure WhatLoyal MemberBeaver FaceSilence Is GoldenAward WhoreGold KeyPro Self ProtectionPseudo-Alien HunterTin Foil HatVictim of Rapier WitFearless WarriorPseudo-PsychologistMost TopicsWise Choice

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 08:51:51 AM »

"... and a generally bad attitude amongst many that tourists come into contact with off property ..."

ALL my passengers say how friendly everyone is here, one guy said recently that this was the friendliest Island in the "Carribbean!"  Never has anyone mentioned what many feel is true, but really isn't, IMHO.  Our people ARE friendly....

Meditation

cash bar

Awards:

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 09:40:03 AM »

Generally speaking   we  probably are still considered as a friendly and welcoming place . We're just  nowhere near as welcoming and friendly as we used to be , say , back in the  60's

I think that the  better travelled the visitor is that you speak to  the more  variance you'll find in their perception of Bermuda.
As an example , I did a stint many years ago  closely connected to the  cruise ship visitors.  For the most part  those that came from the US  on the  weekly callers  I would consider poorly travelled . They mostly did other islands to our south  only and could see the difference here .  They loved not being hounded on the beaches by locals trying to sell  trinkets or braid their hair  but if they rented scooters they had a very different opinion of our  'friendliness and civility' !

Oddly ,  like most Bermudians ,  I know a lot of very well travelled  locals .People who have been to all 4 corners of the world and they will often say that they found people in other places , some places the last you would expect to, that we could learn a lot from  in their treatment of their tourists.   
Mysty

Awards:

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 02:59:31 PM »

Back in the day the Gov't produced targeted advertising at locals encouraging them to friendly up.  One campaign, IIRC, was called, "Bermuda is Me."

Those were the daze.... Big Smile  College Weeks....  Mmmmmm.

Meditation

Mysty

Awards:

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 04:04:47 PM »

I am also hearing from quite a few people in my cab that they feel the Dodwell appointment may be cronyism, like AMCAN suggests.  Personally, I feel he is a man of integrity, and would not make national tourism decisions based on whether his Hotels would profit more than others.  But people still don't trust him.  Don't know why....

Meditation

AMCAN

Awards:
Loyal MemberHomesteader

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 04:28:15 PM »

Back in the day the Gov't produced targeted advertising at locals encouraging them to friendly up.  One campaign, IIRC, was called, "Bermuda is Me."

Meditation

Friendly was not only between locals and visitors it also extended between hotels and other stakeholders. Elbow Beach, Castle Harbour, Belmont Manor, Princess, St. George Hotel and others were different in what they offered, in price too and they competed for each visitor but they had a mutual respect for each other. Each property was unique in their own way but they all had two things in common, the friendliness of the staff and the quality of the service they provided and they didn't charge extra for it. Each hotel had their own pocket brochure that gave potential guests an overall picture of exactly what a guest would find there and if you were comparing hotels it was a given that staff friendliness and service would be comparable.

Today, friendliness and service at Bermuda properties varies by the day. David Dodwell has created two levels of service at the The Reefs Hotel and The Reefs Club and the level of service in those two levels varies by the day. You have repeat hotel guests who came to the Reefs year after year because of the staff friendliness and service and suddenly they no longer get that same friendliness and service because now it has been directed at the Club guests. So to get that friendliness and service they have to pay a premium and get a room on the Club side. Everything on the hotel side suffered for the 'fractional' side and now the whole property is suffering. Dodwell would have been better off to expand and improve the the hotel and maintain the image and quality The Reefs was known for and today could have easily been Bermuda's premier 5 Star property, and attracting guests all year.

Now the tourism stakeholders have their cliques, partnerships, etc. with BAT, BHA, DoT, Tourism Board and all going their own way one day and together the next and they don't have a clue that they must work for the benefit of each other and the benefit of Bermuda. IB and tourism have to work together for the benefit of each other and Bermuda too.

College Weeks and the US Armed Forces brought in thousands of young tourists that fell in love with Bermuda and became repeat visitors and Bermuda was not cheap but they came back. Most of Bermuda tourism stakeholders don't understand what needs to happen to bring back that repeat visitor and until they wake-up and work together as a united tourism team a Tourism Authority will never rebuild Bermuda tourism. IMHO David Dodwell doesn't understand what is required to rebuild Bermuda tourism and my opinion is based on what he didn't do at The Reefs Hotel and The Reefs Club.   

Letariatpro

Warm Fuzzies: 344

Awards:
Pig RoastCopyright AwardFounding MemberGrassy KnollLoyal MemberDone GoodWise ChoiceProtester

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 04:32:03 PM »

I have to agree with AMCAN, Dodwell is not the best choice for this.

None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me.
cash bar

Awards:

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 04:41:49 PM »

Meditation

Believe it or not  my  'Bermuda is me'  button is looking me in the face  right now !  But when dinosaurs roamed the Earth and I was in primary school we were taught the importance of tourism even way back then .  Another thing that was of paramount importance was KBB .
Blankman

Warm Fuzzies: 1084

Awards:
5K PostsOrder of Rabbit Island15K PostsMisogynist10K PostsMost Popular TopicMost Prolific PosterPig RoastCan't Give A ShitCopyright AwardMost Time OnlineEvil TwinFounding MemberShit StirrerAward WhoreGrassy KnollWarm Fuzzie MittenGotta Getta LifeNot Really Sure WhatSilence Is GoldenDone GoodPro Self ProtectionLoyal MemberConceited Pseudo-God

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »

Ah yes - going to the beach to check out the latest styles in college swimwear ...

I used to think that drinking was harmful.  So I gave up thinking.
AMCAN

Awards:
Loyal MemberHomesteader

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 12:59:43 PM »

Don't know why I had the hope that Crockwell and Dodwell would be cleaning house and getting rid of the Tourism Board and some others who add no value to Bermuda tourism. According to RG Editorial, Bermuda will have fully functional Tourism Authority within six months which will remove much of tourism planning from the political arena. Sounds good until Editorial points out possible conflict of interest leaving tourism in hands of experts Face Palm whose own livelihood depends on tourism.

There are only a handful of property owners/managers who managed to keep their property a viable operation in spite of the various incompetent Tourism Ministers and they didn't suck up to the Government to maintain their business. Now the new Government wants to make the tourism management failures the Tourism Authority. They have been looking for a Government bailout for a decade instead of working together for the survival of tourism. 

When the RG Editorial mentions a possible conflict of interest you can bet there is real concern and a lot of that concern is probably coming from other tourism stakeholders. Tourism planning has not been removed from the political arena, it has only shifted to another political arena.  Irony

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20130103/COMMENT01/701039941                       
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: