Bermuda's Most Popular Discussion Forum
March 28, 2017, 05:14:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   Bunny  Welcome to Bermuda Is Another World.  Bunny  We feel our Forum, founded in 2007, is now more necessary than ever!  With increasing media censorship of reader comments, and the unfortunate demise of The Sun, BIAW continues to stand strong for truth, integrity, and free speech.  Bunny  Plus a little craziness!  Bunny  Please join us, and tell us what’s on your mind.  Bunny  Created in Bermuda by Bermudians for everyone who truly loves our Island.  Bunny  Officially sanctioned by the Emperor of Rabbit Island.  Bunny

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam from my ears  (Read 13779 times)
jnc

Warm Fuzzies: 522

Awards:
5K PostsFounding MemberGrassy KnollWise OneLoyal Member

KB 10522

« on: April 19, 2013, 12:47:57 PM »

So there are a lot of things that make steam come out of my ears; this is a thread for me to emit steam on.

One of my gripes is about ideological bias in the media (this is most true of the US, and I'm not sure really applies in Bermuda). But in the US media, it's crystal clear that the vast majority of reporters are progressives (I believe there is actual survey data to support this). This lack of balance (it's ironic that progressives demand 'balance' in college student bodies, etc - but when it comes to things like newsrooms, it's OK to have lack of balance) does influence the coverage. Often the most infuriating part of their bias is that they don't even realize they are biased - in their minds, they are fair and open-minded, so 'of course' their coverage is fair and balanced (to pick an ironic description).

In light of that, this story, Gun Vote Triggers Media Outcry, from Politico (a left of center publication, so this can't be dismissed as right-wing flaming) is illuminating (and kudos to the reporter for actually being objective):

"If you thought President Obama was outraged after the Senate killed the plan to expand background checks on guns, you should have seen some members of the press.
Even by the standards of today’s partisan media environment, the response has been noteworthy. ..
The decision by some members of the media to come down so firmly on one side of a policy debate has only served to reinforce conservatives’ longstanding suspicions that the mainstream media has a deep-seated liberal bias.
Conservatives are doubly frustrated because amid all this cheerleading, the media largely turned a deaf ear to one of the right’s central substantive arguments: There is little evidence that the Manchin-Toomey plan could prevent another Aurora or Newtown — a fact many reports glossed over. Indeed, Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein recently stated on the Senate floor that universal background checks, while 'very important… would not have been prevented the tragedy in Newtown'.
"

People may recall that I'm no big proponent of guns (I see the collecting aspects, as well as the hunting and target shooting aspects, but the whole 'ownership of guns is needed to defend democracy' thing I just don't believe in), and would not at all be bothered by gun restrictions, but I definitely was already taken by the last point - this proposed measure would not have prevented Newtown anyway.

Noel

"Be what you wish to seem." -- Socrates
BeachBunny
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 02:02:29 PM »

Well, its a good thing you've got trustworthy, reliable sources like Breitbart.com the DrudgeReport.com and the Heartland.org to set things right and give us the true story.

In Bermuda we just have LaVerne and Alvin.
Blankman

Warm Fuzzies: 1084

Awards:
5K PostsOrder of Rabbit Island15K PostsMisogynist10K PostsMost Popular TopicMost Prolific PosterPig RoastCan't Give A ShitCopyright AwardMost Time OnlineEvil TwinFounding MemberShit StirrerAward WhoreGrassy KnollWarm Fuzzie MittenGotta Getta LifeNot Really Sure WhatSilence Is GoldenDone GoodPro Self ProtectionLoyal MemberConceited Pseudo-God

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 02:12:26 PM »

Well, its a good thing you've got trustworthy, reliable sources like Breitbart.com the DrudgeReport.com and the Heartland.org to set things right and give us the true story.

Could be worse.  We could be stuck with the All Barack Channel, the Nobody but Barack Channel, and the Complete Barack Syncophant network.

I used to think that drinking was harmful.  So I gave up thinking.
jnc

Awards:

KB 10522

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 02:34:50 PM »

You forgot the Daily Caller, Washington Examiner, etc, etc.  Innocent

I dunno why so many progressives get such a hard-on over Drudge. He's mostly just a page of links to other places, so it's really their reliability you have to analyze. Most of them are pretty trustworthy, although occasionally you get one that's black-helicoptery.

Just for grins, here's the top group of links on Drudge at the moment:

AP, Washington Post, WP (again), Daily Caller, Boston Globe, CBS, WP, Weekly Standard, NBC, Reuters, Reuters, ABC, ABC, CNN, Boston Globe, Reuters, WHDH (a Boston TV station), Weekly Standard.

So there are a couple of mainstream conservative things there (Weekly Standard, Daily Caller), but the rest are all bog-mainstream. Hardly a collection of black-helicopter nonsense (although you'd never know that from listening to Obama, Biden, etc, etc - and also from those who either knowingly repeat their lies, or are gullible and swallow them whole).

I think Drudge's real value is that he rounds up the occasional even-handed coverage items from the MSM and aggregates them together into one place, so one doesn't have to trawl through the mass of grup to find them.

Speaking of accuracy and the MSM, it was rather interesting flipping among CNN, MSNBC (actually NBC, when it comes to breaking news), and Fox last night, when things were chaotic and incredibly confused. (Early on, mostly they were just relaying coverage from local affiliates; later on, they went to their own people.)

NBC was miles ahead of the other two - but the others didn't seem to realize it. They were just reporting stuff that was wildly confused, or out of date - what was amazing was that they seemingly had no idea - at all - of the good data that was coming over (MS)NBC.

So much for their ability to gather information - they couldn't even pick up stuff that was being broadcast over a neighbouring channel! I could have done a better job than their much-vaunted news-gathering team, sitting on my couch!

Noel

PS: Coverage today is pretty bad across all the channels - ABC/NBC/CNN/Fox/MSNBC. I'm listening to ABC at the moment, but that may just be that I'm tired of hearing the others repeat the same (pointless) things over and over.

PPS: In their defence, I'm not sure there's a lot to report. The authorities are doing a sweep of the area, with no results, and the other brother's whereabouts are utterly unknown - not much to report on.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 04:13:56 PM by jnc » Logged

Buddha Bunny
Hopping down The Path to Enlightenment

Warm Fuzzies: 664

Awards:
Pig RoastCan't Give A ShitFounding MemberWarm Fuzzie MittenSlewmeisterGrassy KnollPro Self ProtectionProtesterSt. Patrick's Day MassacrePseudo-BuddhistWise ChoiceGoat Rider

I am beginning to awaken.

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 05:05:19 PM »

Could be worse.  We could be stuck with the All Barack Channel, the Nobody but Barack Channel, and the Complete Barack Syncophant network.

Oh how quickly you Republicans forget...  Not long ago we had the All Bush Channel, the Nobody but Bush Channel, and the Complete Bush Syncophant network.

Same game different name!

The Emperor

We are what we think.  All that we are arises with our thoughts.  With our thoughts we make the world.
Blankman

Warm Fuzzies: 1084

Awards:
5K PostsOrder of Rabbit Island15K PostsMisogynist10K PostsMost Popular TopicMost Prolific PosterPig RoastCan't Give A ShitCopyright AwardMost Time OnlineEvil TwinFounding MemberShit StirrerAward WhoreGrassy KnollWarm Fuzzie MittenGotta Getta LifeNot Really Sure WhatSilence Is GoldenDone GoodPro Self ProtectionLoyal MemberConceited Pseudo-God

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 06:19:20 PM »

Oh how quickly you Republicans forget...  Not long ago we had the All Bush Channel, the Nobody but Bush Channel, and the Complete Bush Syncophant network.

The Emperor

Not quite - the MSM (Main Stream Media) have always been far more liberal than that.  They've always been opposed to Bush or anything even vaguely related to him.  The only time that wasn't the case was immediately after 9/11 but they rapidly turned into Gore syncophants and then when Obama came on the scene all bets were off.

I used to think that drinking was harmful.  So I gave up thinking.
Buddha Bunny

Awards:
Pig RoastCan't Give A ShitFounding MemberWarm Fuzzie MittenSlewmeisterGrassy KnollPro Self ProtectionProtesterSt. Patrick's Day MassacrePseudo-BuddhistWise ChoiceGoat Rider

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »

The Emperor

Not quite - the MSM (Main Stream Media) have always been far more liberal than that.  They've always been opposed to Bush or anything even vaguely related to him.  The only time that wasn't the case was immediately after 9/11 but they rapidly turned into Gore syncophants and then when Obama came on the scene all bets were off.

Why did I know you were going to say that!!!??   lmao    ROFL  Kill Me

The Emperor

We are what we think.  All that we are arises with our thoughts.  With our thoughts we make the world.
32n64w

Warm Fuzzies: 253

Awards:
100 Page ThreadQuality Over Quantity1000 Post ThreadBrave PioneerShit StirrerDone GoodLoyal MemberGoat RiderProtester

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 11:30:40 AM »

Why did I know you were going to say that!!!?? 

Because it's true.

PLP - Non impediti ratione cogitatonis
jnc

Awards:

KB 10522

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 12:12:13 PM »

Speaking of the MSM: Harper's, I think it was, used to have this this wonderful feature where they showed diametrically opposing headlines from different news organization. Here's one from Reuters (albeit from the opinion section):

In Defense of Journalistic Error

Muzzling the Online Vigilantes

So, let me get this straight: journalists are allowed to make errors, and that's OK because that's an inevitable part of doing their job in today's fast-paced news world, but... if us ordinary peons make a mistake (for much the same reason), we're to be sent to the bastinado? Got it.

(Which is not to say that I disagree with everything in both columns; I think they both make some valid points. It's just the assumed privilege that grates.)

Noel

jnc

Awards:

KB 10522

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 11:43:03 AM »

Mental Blinders At Work

So here's a great example of how the eye cannot possibly see what it cannot conceive of:

67 percent of those [polled] disapprov[e] of the 'way Republicans in Congress re handling Federal spending'.
While Obama's numbers aren't stellar on that same spending question - 52 percent disapproval - he is in considerably stronger shape than his Republican adversaries

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2013/02/27/republicans-are-losing-the-spending-argument/

If you read the article, it's fairly clear that the writer assumes that all those 67% think the Republicans are being too 'extreme' in their spending positions.

In other words, he never even considered the possibility that a significant share of that 67 percent is people who are unhappy with Congressional Republicans because they think those Congress-critters aren't doing enough: that concept is totally outside his mental frame of possibility.

Because, as we all know, all correctly-thinking people know that attempts to cut Government spending are confoozled, so everyone who disagrees with the Republicans in Congress must think they are going too far...

(In a similar situation, in polling on Obamacare, they were quick to point out that some of those who were unhappy with it in polls were people who thought it wasn't agressive enough, e.g. wanted a single-payer system. Gee, I wonder how they were aware of that?)

And reporters wonder why, according to a survey out recently:

http://washingtonexaminer.com/shock-poll-internet-edges-tv-networks-as-publics-source-for-news/article/2522828

"Just 6 percent of the nation considers the national media 'very trustworthy'".

Noel

jnc

Awards:

KB 10522

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 01:05:37 PM »

I was going to post this in Science Talk thread, but I guess this is more ideology than science, so here it goes...

So here is a story about how, in an attempt to preserve the spotted owl, they are going to... shart shooting barred owls, which are natural competitors, and have been spreading into spotted owl territory.

I wonder if anyone stopped to think 'gee, maybe this is just natural selection in action'? Although possibly they weren't allowed to think that by the Endangered Species Act, which seems to be totally oblivious to the fact that species have been going extinct since the dawn of time.

You can't make this stuff up. I mean, if this showed up in The Onion, you'd laugh your head off. But this is for real... and the people doing it don't seem to have any sense of how dopey it is.

Face Palm Blue Face Palm Sulk Face Palm Bang Head Face Palm

Noel

Buddha Bunny

Awards:

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 09:47:35 AM »

And yet, in the same moment they cut down the forests, poison the water and pollute the air...  I think we've outlived our usefulness.  RIP

The Emperor

jnc

Awards:

KB 10522

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 06:00:38 PM »

In the comments section of this story, we find this little gem:

"TOR01 wrote:
McCain and Graham are warmongers and probably couldn’t locate Syria on the map if they were given a month to find it
"

It's comments like this that leave me with the persistent perception that pacificists/liberals/etc have the cognitive functionality level of a hydrocephalic chipmunk.

I'd be willing to bet that McCain could actually draw, from memory, a map of the Med, and include thereon Syria's approximate outline. (I know I certainly could: I just tried, got it mostly right, but I got the Eastern outline of Syria wrong; I got its shape confused with Jordan's.) I wonder if TOR01 could?

Noel

SmokingGun
Loyal Member

Warm Fuzzies: 1046

Awards:
Order of Rabbit Island10K PostsPig RoastFilm MakerShit StirrerAward WhoreAdventurerCopyright AwardWarm Fuzzie MittenGrassy KnollLoyal MemberWiseguyDone GoodPro Self ProtectionTin Foil HatWise ChoiceA Poet, Doncha Know It

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 06:40:55 PM »

That was a fun exercise!  Wuffie Faerie I did the whole Med and got 90% of everything in place, just had some portion sizes that were a little skewed. Oh and I totally blanked on Algeria having such a large coastline.... Face Palm

What's fascinating is that one can google a map of the med then simply start clicking in on a location right down to street level. I just flew into Mykanos for a quick visit. We live in amazing times.
jnc

Awards:

KB 10522

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 06:56:20 PM »

I totally blanked on Algeria having such a large coastline....

You should study the North African campaign in WWII more - that certainly helps me remember how big Morocco [temporarily forgot about that one until I looked at a map - I lumped the two French North African possessions together, they were invaded at the same time :-], Algeria, Tunisia, Libya etc are.

Noel
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 07:55:36 PM by jnc » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: